It is my goal as the Saint Michael School Art teacher to motivate students to recognize and appreciate their creativity. Art helps us express our emotions and brings joy to the beholder. We will explore materials and techniques that are familiar and also new. Hopefully the students will gain an appreciation for the arts, past and present.
Grades Kindergarten – 2 will:
- Practice basic control with scissors, pencils and paintbrushes.
- Explore three dimensional art through basic sculpture.
- Begin to learn about the elements of art such as line, shape and texture.
Grades 3-5 will:
- Continue to explore with different media, processes and styles.
- Build on three-dimensional techniques using modeling clay, paper and cardboard.
- Add to their knowledge of the elements of art with value, color and form.
Grades 6-8 will:
- Learn about some of the qualities of art.
- Try some product design.
- Learn how to critique a work of art through description, analysis, interpretation and judgment.
- Continue to have fun with the materials they have come to know and love.
Continuing with tradition the eighth grade will complete a group project to be displayed in the school for years to come as well as show off their artistic abilities at the Union County Teen Arts Festival in the spring.